Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Kong...angry! And sad!

This was the same face I made when I heard about the fire at Universal Studios that destroyed the King Kong ride, the New York Street set, a bunch of stuff in the archive (luckily they have copies so nothing was completely lost), and the iconic courthouse from Back to the Future, and damaged the courthouse clock tower and the set of Ghost Whisperer. I've been on the California Universal Studios backlot tour a couple times. This is actually from the last time I was there in 2005 where I totally lucked into this great picture of the great ape. The backlot tour is really one of the best attractions I've been on, partly just because it's awesome, but also because I love the magic of the movies and can't get enough of seeing behind-the-scenes stuff. That's why I was so sad when I heard of the fire and saw this picture of it.

I'm sure Universal won't have a problem funding the rebuilding and repairs, and hopefully they can find a silver lining and make sets that are even better than what was there before. But it still does not erase the fact that parts of movie history were lost. The courthouse could be rebuilt, but it could really never be the same. But Kong, you'll always live on in my picture.

No comments: