Thursday, June 5, 2008

We'll be back right after this invasive message...

I found this video at TV Squad, and the article told me to spread the word about this monstrosity, so here I am, doing just that. Maybe that means I'm a lemming for doing what I'm told, but this really is outrageous and I'll fall off the cliff with everyone else for it (If you've never played lemmings, you may not get the reference, but trust me, it's good). Check this out:

Yes, that is an ad pausing a show to advertise. I HATE when those ads pop up on TBS. It's one thing to have the names of shows in semi-transparent lettering inconspicuously in the corner of the screen, but it's a far different thing to have the ad take up a quarter of the screen, which is what most of them do. Or worse, when they somehow work the graphics of the ad into the show. I was watching Pirates of the Caribbean the other day (yes, for about the millionth time. I don't care. I love that movie) and they had something fly from behind one of the characters that turned into a huge obnoxious ad blocking my movie. I was half-expecting someone to whip out their sword and take it down. Yes, I could have put in the DVD to watch commercial free, but that's not the point.

TBS, you're going too far. Commercials don't belong in programming. That's what commercial breaks are for. Unless it's product placement. Then that's something different. Having the Griffins watch the Bill Engvall show, that may have been clever (but only once). Annoying, but not as obnoxious. If I wanted to see full-on commercials during my programming, I'd be watching the Home Shopping Network. Seeing as how I'm not a 70 year-old woman and it wasn't 3AM on a sleepless night, I just can't deal with that. Back off TBS.

No comments: